Lenovo Virtual Reality Classroom promises to transform the way lessons are taught and the way students (over 13) consume information, by using VR
Lenovo has announced Lenovo Virtual Reality (VR) Classroom, which allows students to experience virtual field trips from the comfort of their classroom.
The new solution, which is aimed at children aged 13 and above, focuses on delivering a robust teaching and learning VR experience and aims to create a blended learning environment that is content-rich, immersive, and easy-to-use.
“Lenovo Virtual Reality Classroom will change the way teachers teach lessons and how students consume information,” the firm said in a statement. “Students will not just read a story and look at pictures in a textbook, but also can truly feel like they are part of the lesson and experience it in a unique way.
“Teachers can bring STEM lessons to life through this immersive learning and take students on biodiversity journeys through Africa, Asia, the Amazon, and more.”
Headsets will come pre-loaded with more than 700 available Google Expeditions VR field trips and exclusive Jane Goodall “Wild Immersion” content. The package from Lenovo includes a commercial warranty, premier-level support and professional development.
In addition, teachers will have support for the VR experience with an online community of lesson plans. The Daydream app store has hundreds more apps teachers can download to support their lessons in the classroom.
Also available is the option to add the recently announced Lenovo Mirage Camera with Daydream. This VR180 camera simplifies creating VR content with easy video or image capture and wireless upload to Google Photos™ and YouTube™, where students can then experience their own captured content in 3D on the Mirage Solo with Daydream.
Pricing and Availability:
Lenovo Virtual Reality Classroom is available in the U.S. as of April 2018 (fall of 2018 for Canada).Three tiers of bundles are available starting with a 3-student pack (in case) starting at $2899 USD. A 10-student pack (in cart) and a 24-student pack (in cart) will also be available.
Lenovo Virtual Reality Classroom includes:
- As the world’s first standalone Daydream™ VR headset, the Lenovo Mirage™ Solo with Daydreambrings students next-gen VR: combining the simplicity of an all-in-one headset – no more being tethered to wires, PCs or phones – with the immersive experience of motion-tracking technology, WorldSense, on Daydream’s VR platform. We’ve built the headset’s display for immersive VR engagement with an incredible 110-degree field of view – so you can see more of what’s around you. The Lenovo Mirage Solo also comes with a wireless Daydream controller, which acts as a unique and intuitive extension of your hand. Students will be able to to experience virtual field trips. For teachers worried about germs spreading in the classroom, the cushion material on the Mirage Solo touching students’ face and hair can be cleaned and disinfected with alcohol wipes!
- A Lenovo Tab 4 PLUS 10” tabletwith Snapdragon 625 Mobile Platform for the teacher’s use.
- A Ruckus R510 commercial router, powered by Qualcomm® IPQ40x8/9 Wi-Fi SoC, capable of managing high bandwidth for growing video content.
- A custom Bretford cart or Synnex case (depending on bundle size) with integrated charging.
- Professional development included with every Lenovo VR Classroom – including introductory videos, consultation with an expert, and monthly webinars for best practice sharing.
- Fully tested and customized lesson plans from educational content leader Scholastic.
- Also included are an 18-month “school year” warranty, an advanced exchange warranty, premier support on all pieces except the cart (which has manufacturer’s warranty), and the connection of all devices to router prior to shipping.